Saturday, January 23, 2010

When stats go wrong

One of the tasks I get to do during an Ice Bears game is run stats.  I should clarify.  I print off stats from Pointstreak.com during intermission and briskly walk them to both locker rooms and any media on hand.  Running stats sounds much more important, doesn't it?

I've run stats during every home game this year except one, without problem.  Until last night.

Everything was going great, so I felt safe in thinking to myself, "Hey, self, what a calm night.  I might be able to watch some of the game.  Cool."

Yea, I know.  I should have known better.

So, I head up to the office just before the end of the second period to run stats only to discover Pointstreak isn't updating as fast as normal.  I spent the next 20 minutes refreshing the website, only to realize things aren't looking good or correct.

For the first time this season, I couldn't distribute stats to the teams.  #FAIL.

Oh, well.  Not the end of the world.  Except without correct stats, I can't write the post-game summary.  And since I watch, oh, five minutes of the game, I have no idea what has happened on the ice.

As the game nears the end, I head back up to the office, hoping and praying Pointstreak.com is working. I hit refresh, and, yee-haw.  FINAL game stats.  Hit print and take off.  Whew!

Visiting team. Check.  Media. Check. Ice Bears. Check. Ref. Problem.  Apparently all of the second period was wrong in the stat sheet.  Six penalties were missing and two goals were scored at the same time- one by each team.

The ref and news reporter were able to straighten it all out.  Finally.

What a crazy night.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I love, love, love working the games and hanging out with the coolest hockey fans around.

No comments:

Post a Comment